Sweet and sticky chicken wings
Mouthwatering layers of flavors, textures, and aromas to excite all the senses. Savory and sweet—with a hint of heat. Crispy and juicy all at the same time. And, of course, there’s the childlike joy of sticky fingers. We’re not kidding when we say these are our go-to chicken wings!
Servings: 4 servings
- 2 lbs chicken wings
- 1½ tsp sea salt
- ¾ cup coconut aminos
- ¼ tsp ground ginger
- ¼ tsp onion powder
- ¼ tsp garlic powder
- ¼ tsp chili flakes
- Preheat oven to 450°F (230°C).
- Place the wings with the thicker skin-side up on a rimmed baking sheet with wire racks. (The wire rack helps promote even cooking).
- Sprinkle the wings liberally with fine sea salt (or salt of your choice).
- Bake the wings for 45 minutes.
- When the wings have 12 minutes left to bake, start the sauce.
- Heat a medium to large skillet over medium heat, and add the coconut aminos.
- Add the ginger powder, garlic powder, onion powder, and red pepper flakes (if desired). Once the sauce comes to a simmer, begin stirring. Continue to stir periodically, adjusting the heat as needed to maintain a gentle simmer.
- Once the sauce has thickened slightly—as you stir it, it should take a few seconds for the sauce to fill back behind your spoon or spatula—you can reduce the heat to low while the wings finish cooking.
- Place the wings in a large heatproof bowl, and pour the sauce over them. Stir to evenly coat with the sauce, and serve!
Break out the grill! A medium-low heat—with periodic flipping to ensure even cooking—should take about 30 minutes to cook the wings completely. Want to kick the umami up a notch? A few drops of your favorite fish sauce should do the trick.